Tuesday, August 08, 2006

It's all about socks!

As head over heels as I fell for knitting, I have to admit that when I first heard/saw that there were people out there who knit socks I couldn't believe it. I mean, I can get at least 1/2 dozen pairs of socks at Target for the cost of some nice sock yarn. Then, when I considered the insane amount of time and tiny stitches that go into a simple item that's going to go on your eventually sweaty foot I became convinced that the whole idea was NUTS! Sure the socks were cute, knit up with fun patterned yarns and lovely handpainted merinos but still... Target has cute socks... so why the madness? Why?????

Personally, I was committed to garments. Beautiful, soft sweaters and tops that would soon fill my wardrobe. Lovely, expensive, time-consuming garments that would sit in neat waiting-to-be-seamed, waiting-to-be-blocked piles. Sweaters that caused me to grit my teeth as I knit through the last repetitive rows. Unseamed garments that glared at me, daring me to thread my needle. (Thank you
Wendy for introducing me to top-down knits!)

Now don't get me wrong. I still love to knit beautiful garments (although I do avoid seams unless the garment is unavoidably tempting - and I momentarily forget my limitations). As a matter of fact, I am currently thoroughly enjoying the Gedifra sweater in the photo as well as a couple of other WIPs... including an
Allhemp6 top from www.kpixie.com (interesting, knitting with hemp is)...

However, I have finally discovered the secret of the knitted sock... and with it, the enthusiasm of the much misunderstood sock knitter. For starters what else can you make and wear in less than a week (if committed) for a mere $10-$20? And what better way to squash that gotta-buy-some-new-yarn urge than to pick up a new skein of sock yarn? Heck, you can hardly even feel guilty about that. (Although, it is possible for a whole draw full of enough sock yarn for the next 2 years to nudge ya with a bit of guilt... but it's still my favorite drawer to gaze at and run my fingers through.) Then there's the portability factor, the colors, the texture (oooh... the merino), the variety available, and the opportunity to make it as simple or ornate as you feel. Yep, sock are the knitter's Hershey's Kiss... the perfect sweet bite for that added pleasure... a no-guilt snack!


On another note, a trip down memory lane led to my discovery of recently released "Johnny Socko and his Flying Robot" DVDs. Anyone remember that series... it was an English dubbed Japanese monster/robot adventure show in the late 60s/early 70s? I had to order the first DVD set. D, my 7 yos, is sure to love it!

2 comments:

Good Yarns said...

OK Tammy, you've finally got me sold! I am going to amazon to get Sensational Socks today. I, the one who's never knitted any socks, do actaully have several skeins of nice sock yarn. I really need to get going, huh! Oh, and maybe E. E.'s book too....

Good Yarns said...

What are you knitting lately? Reading?