Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Collections of sorts...

A few pals and I are getting ready to dye some Knit Picks Bare we picked up a while back so I have begun to collect Kool-Aid.


I've managed to put together a pretty decent collection but noticeably absent are Blue Raspberry and Lemon Lime. As far as I'm concerned, the notion of dying yarn without blue or green is hardly worth considering! Fortunately I have a "connection" for these... and check out the yellow and pink lemonade Michelle! There's a great Knitty article with instructions as well as a Kool-Aid color chart to give us a hint of what each color will ultimately produce.

In the meanwhile... I've secretly been adding to another related "collection" (because calling it anything other than that at this point would be sadly misleading). I say secretly because, well, I let some time pass before showing you due to my shame and embarrassment.

Fortunately, I'm pretty much over those now.

Now I will gush over all of these yarns. I found the Gypsy Knits "Melon Patch" on Etsy and it is gorgeous (as are all her colors... I had a tough time choosing). I'm crazy about the color combination, the twist, and the price!

The Zen String Serendipity Sport in "Summertime Rolls" is absolutely saturated with vibrant color... love those blues and greens!
This last one is Smooshy Sock Yarn by Dream in Color and it is! Smooshy that is... very. The color is Petal Shower. The Zen String and Smooshy are both from The Loopey Ewe which has become one of my favorite new suppliers... er, I mean stores.


So yarn overfloweths and I can't even decide what to start next so I sit here knitting a floral shaped washcloth that's kicking my butt thereby totally nixing it's purpose of being a quick, satisfying little knit. Being as I have no future plans for said washcloth aside from quickly forgetting about it, I'm spending a ridiculous amount of time frogging and recounting.

After about an hour of washcloth agony yesterday, I finally opted for knitting the second of my No Sweat Socks from No Sheep for You. They're okay (for not being wool) but the Wick is a bit tough on the hands to knit at that gauge...


but at least I don't have to count and they'll be done soon!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have the same problem with kool aid, I cannot find the Blue or green anywhere.

Anonymous said...

Oh, that KoolAid dying looks like fun! Are you going to try multiple colors?

You are going to laugh when you see my next blog post. I have 2 of the same yarns that you bought. I have a feeling we could be quite dangerous if we ever visited a yarn store together! I love the Dream in Color, it's far better than I had hope for.

Laura said...

I hope you have multiple packs of each color you plan to use. I did that with four friends a couple of years ago and we found that 4 to 6 packs of each color was about right for each of us to dye one skein of KnitPicks superwash sock yarn. We also used those little foam paintbrushes to apply the dye.

Michelle said...

Looks like the dying is going to be lots of fun! Iced Blue Raspberry and Lemon Lime are in great abundance up north! I'll be glad to send you some!

Michelle
miknits@gmail.com

Natalie said...

I love that smooshy. Why not cast them all on? Ha!

I can't wait to see what comes from the kool-aid.

Anonymous said...

I also had the same problem finding blue and green. I had to enlist friends in other states to send me some.

Donna Boucher said...

I can't wait to see your yarn!!!!

Sarah said...

I love the Kool-Aid dying, but it goes entirely too quickly! I want more when I am done.

Gorgeous socks and all that other yarn- such great colors!

Octopus Knits said...

Your socks look great, and those yarns are all lovely! Have fun with the kool aid!