Tuesday, May 12, 2009

The Non-Essential Essential

As I mentioned before, I recently picked up one of the much anticipated Knit Kits.

The Knit Kit

You've most probably seen them around by now, but I thought I'd throw in my 2 cents just in case. I must admit two things up front... (1) I really didn't need this, and (2) it's much bigger than I expected. For some reason, I expected some little key chain size doo-dad full of microscopic gadgets. But that doesn't mean it's too big... just that I'm terrible at visualizing objects in my mind.

Anyway, as you can see, it has it all... tape measure, row counter, crochet hook, thread cutter, stitch markers, needle protectors and scissors.

The Knit KitThe Knit Kit

I can personally testify to it's claim to be TSA approved because I bought it in St. Louis and flew home with it. (You know... curiosity and all.)

While I can't say that the Knit Kit contains anything that I don't already have at least 2 of... I can say that I'm pleasantly surprised with how convenient it is to keep in my purse and how often it's come in handy already. My only concern is the quality of the plastic construction... it feels quite fragile, but I guess time and use will be the judge of that though.

I still need to get buttons sewn on my last sweater, but I've started a little something for summer.

Trellis and Keyhole

It's the Trellis and Keyhole Tank from the summer Interweave Knits. I'm using Rowan's new Lenpur Linen, a very soft and lightweight yarn that is knitting up beautifully.

6 comments:

Mrs. Homesteader said...

Oooh, I'm excited to see how your tank turns out - it's on my list of "maybes" from that issue.

5elementknitr said...

That tank is in my queue, too...

Love my Knit Kit! Doesn't it look a bit like a birth control case, though? hah!

Tammy said...

LOL... Yes! I thought the same thing. :)

Liz said...

OOoh, that tank was the ONLY thing in Summer Interweave that I wanted to knit...and I love the color you chose.

km said...

Now I'm laughing from the BC comment. I didn't think of that, but now I don't know if I could carry one of Knit Kits in my purse.

I love that tank...I'll be watching to see how yours turns out.

Sarah said...

I'm such a gadget freak... Those would be great stitch group gifts...